Cumberland Goes To War
Top Header

Cumberland Goes To War is a community heritage project coordinated and promoted by Allegany County Tourism in partnership with the Canal Place Preservation and Development Authority, the City of Cumberland, Western Maryland Scenic Railroad and the Allegany County Chamber of Commerce. Funded in part by the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, the Allegany County Commissioners and the City of Cumberland. More information about the project and/or the images in the archive can be obtained by emailing info@cumberlandgoestowar.com.


Users 245
Photos 2,262
Views 19,226,888
Disk Space 476.9mb

SunMon TueWed ThuFri Sat
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Jewell_Article_06.jpg
Jewell_Article_06
admin

[ Kenneth Jewell ]
G_Deter_10.jpg
G_Deter_10
admin

[ Garland Deter ]
4th_command_service.jpg
4th Command Service
admin

[ WWII Insignia Patches ]
Reed_photo_57.jpg
Reed_photo_57
admin

[ William L Reed ]
Untitled-2a1.jpg
1Sgt. William L. Ree
admin

[ William L Reed ]
Francis_letter.jpg
Francis Green Letter
admin

[ Francis Green ]
· more ·

 
more
44th_infantry_division.jpg
69th_infantry_division.jpg

36th Engineer Brigade
Click on image to view larger image

admin



Registered: August 2008
Posts: 1,721
users gallery
The 36th Engineer Brigade was originally constituted on 1 October 1933[8] as the 36th Engineer Regiment and activated on 1 June 1941 at Plattsburg Barracks, New York. During World War II the 36th Engineer Regiment consisted of nine combat engineer companies trained for amphibious assault and support operations. Because of this training, the unit’s distinctive insignia was designed with a seahorse on a red and white shield.
The brigade was deployed to the North African Campaign in 1942, participating in Operation Torch, where it conducted its first amphibious assault, and earning the brigade its first campaign streamer for the battle around Algeria and French Morocco. It would continue supporting Allied units as they pushed Axis forces out of North Africa during the Tunisia Campaign.
The brigade would then participate in the Battle of Sicily, conducting its second amphibious landing along with the 7th Army. It would push on with the rest of the force, eventually forcing German and Italian forces off of the island. The Brigade followed in the quick invasion of mainland Italy soon after, with an amphibious assault in the Naples-Foggia area, followed closely by another landing in support of Operation Shingle, near Anzio. For fifty days, during Operation Shingle, soldiers of the brigade held 7 miles (11 km) of the front line and earned the distinction by the German army as “The Little Seahorse Division”.
The unit subsequently participated in the invasion of southern France in 1944, code named Operation Dragoon, conducting its fifth and final amphibious assault of the war. It would support Allied units through three additional campaigns up until the end of the war; the Rhineland Campaign, the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign, and the Central Europe Campaign.
· Date: Mon September 15, 2008 · Views: 10169 · Filesize: 54.1kb, 257.7kb · Dimensions: 600 x 684 ·
Quick Rate: Poor Excellent
Keywords: 36th Engineer Brigade Patch
Print View



Photo Sharing Gallery by PhotoPost
Copyright © 2007 All Enthusiast, Inc.